Compassionate. Professional. Straightforward.
Alicia J. Downs
Certified Legal Specialties:
- Certified Family Law Mediator (Divorce, Financial and Child Related Mediation), 2007
I have been practicing law for over twenty years. Throughout my many years of practice, I have learned that every client’s situation is different, and every case is unique. I take the time to really listen to each of my client’s needs and then employ strategies and creative solutions to resolve each client’s issue in an efficient and effective way.
As a family law attorney, I have learned that navigating divorce and crafting parenting plans can be a stressful process for many individuals. My job is to help guide you through this process as seamlessly as possible and zealously advocate for you at every turn.
In assisting my clients with their estate planning needs, I utilize the same care and attention I do as a litigator. It is important that each client has the individual plan that meets their needs whether it be a will, trust, powers of attorney, living wills, or guardianships. I also assist families in navigating the sometimes-complex process of probate and estate administration.
I am also a skilled family law mediator with nearly fourteen years of experience. I pride myself on helping parties come up with creative solutions to resolve their conflicts.
- Family Law
- Estate Planning
- Parenting Time/Custody Disputes
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 1999
- Illinois Wesleyan University
- B.A. - 1996
- Major: Political Science
- Minor: Philosophy
- American University
- Washington Semester program - 1994
- Illinois, 2000
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2000
- Missouri, 2003
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois, 2005
- Land of Lincoln Legal Aid pro bono work
- Legal Advice Clinic, Madison County Courthouse pro bono work
Fraternities or Sororities
- Phi Alpha Delta
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Madison County Bar Association, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member