Responsive To Your Family Law Needs
At the Downs Law Firm, in Edwardsville, I handle family law issues ranging from divorce to child custody to orders of protection. As your lawyer, I am here to help you through the sometimes-difficult process you may be dealing with.
As a sole practitioner, I work directly with you to help you attain an effective and efficient resolution to your legal concern. I will be both straightforward with you and responsive to your needs. I have been practicing law for over 20 years and am a certified family law mediator. I have also served as a Guardian ad Litem in numerous family and probate cases throughout the years.
Issues I Can Help You Resolve
As your lawyer, I will be committed to your unique needs and circumstances and will vigorously advocate on your behalf. I handle the following types of family law issues:
- Divorce (contested and uncontested)
- Custody and visitation – allocation of parenting time/parental responsibility
- Child support
- Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO)
- Orders of protection
- Prenuptial agreements
- Legal separation
Divorce and family matters are uniquely personal and often emotional. It can be of great benefit to work with someone who understands this and knows how to circumvent issues that complicate the expediency of the process.
Why Work With An Attorney?
Most of us are used to solving our own problems. The advances of the internet have made learning how to fix a leaky faucet, make a paper airplane or cook a special recipe accessible. However, do-it-yourself is rarely, if ever, the best way to handle divorce and family law issues.
Working with an attorney on these issues can help you avoid pitfalls, headaches and serious mistakes. These types of mistakes will cost you additional time, money and stress during this time, and the one thing you don’t need is additional stress during a divorce.
The advantages of working directly with a family law attorney include:
- Guidance. You will be able to ask questions and get the answers and understanding you need during your divorce, custody or other family law issue. As your attorney, I will accurately represent your goals and wishes. Whether your divorce ends in an agreement or through trial, I will advocate on your behalf the entire time.
- A smoother process. There is a specific process and at times necessary wording that go into much of the paperwork. Errors can cause setbacks and delay finalization.
- A true understanding of your rights and options. This is crucial for property division, debt division, custody and support issues.
- Less stress. Divorce and family law issues can be stressful. By having me gather the necessary information and complete the required filings in a timely manner meeting any necessary deadlines, you will reduce your anxiety, workload and uncertainty.
I Am A Certified Mediator
Additionally, mediation is often required for child custody and parenting issues. Mediation has many benefits and can lead to an effective settlement of your custody and divorce issues. I am a certified mediator and have conducted numerous mediations throughout the years.
Get The Family Law Guidance You Need For A Smoother Process
I know what you are facing can seem overwhelming at times. I am here to ease your burden and make sure your rights are protected and your goals are pursued. Call me at 618-505-2495 and set up a time to talk. You can also reach me via online contact form, and I will respond promptly.