Knowledgeable, Effective Guidance

Dividing Assets In Illinois

When you go through a divorce, you will have to split up your marital estate. The marital estate is all the assets and wealth acquired by either party during the marriage. This is a complex process, and it will take time and effort to get through it.

At , I have helped my clients from Edwardsville and across the St. Louis’ Metro East area with property division issues in divorce. My name is Alicia J. Downs, and as an attorney with more than 20 years of experience, I have extensive experience negotiating and settling these concerns. As your attorney, I can guide you forward through these issues with confidence and skill.

What’s In The Marital Estate?

Anything that is not separate property – which is the property you obtained before your marriage, or that was received through inheritance during the marriage – is in the marital estate. It’s common for your marital estate to include the following:

  • Businesses started during the marriage
  • Income from your job during the marriage
  • Homes purchased during the marriage
  • Contributions to retirement accounts
  • Investments
  • Personal property

The finances and assets of married life can become extremely complicated over time.

What Does The Court Consider Fair?

In Illinois, the court looks for an equitable distribution of marital assets and debts. This means that it looks at several factors before determining how to split the assets that you and your ex have accumulated. These factors include:

  • The length of the marriage
  • Each party’s contributions
  • Each party’s personal wealth
  • Each party’s personal income
  • The amount and value of the marital assets and debts

Once the court reviews all the possible circumstances, it divides things and awards your share. However, your priorities matter, and I will advocate for the split that you think is just and fair.

An Attentive And Caring Divorce Lawyer

Reach out to me to find out how I can best help you deal with your asset division issues. I can show you exactly what to expect and advocate for your favored outcome. Call me at or send an email to get started.